Chinook Salmon Bycatch Management
Chinook salmon are accidentally caught in the federally managed pollock fisheries in the Gulf of Alaska (GOA) and in the Bering Sea and Aleutian Islands (BSAI).
In 2012, Amendment 93 was implemented in the GOA to limit the amount of Chinook salmon caught in the pollock fishery. Amendment 93 establishes separate prohibited species catch (PSC) limits in the Central and Western GOA for Chinook salmon, which would cause NMFS to close the directed pollock fishery in the Central or Western regulatory areas of the GOA, if the applicable limit is reached. This action also requires retention of salmon by all vessels in the Central and Western GOA pollock fisheries until the catch is delivered to a processing facility where an observer is provided the opportunity to count the number of salmon and to collect scientific data or biological samples from the salmon.
Amendment 91 is an innovative approach to managing Chinook salmon bycatch in the BSAI pollock fishery that combines a limit on the amount of Chinook salmon that may be caught incidentally with incentive plan agreements and performance standard. The program was designed to minimize bycatch to the extent practicable in all years, and prevent bycatch from reaching the limit in most years, while providing the pollock fleet with the flexibility to harvest the total allowable catch. NMFS implemented this program for the 2011 BSAI pollock fishery.
Gulf of Alaska (GOA)
GOA Salmon Catch Reports
- 77 FR 42629, July 20, 2012. Regulations to implement Amendment 93 to the FMP for Groundfish of the Gulf of Alaska. The regulations apply exclusively to the directed pollock trawl fisheries in the Central and Western Reporting Areas of the Gulf of Alaska. Effective August 25, 2012, except for: 50 CFR 679.21(h)(2) will be effective January 1, 2013, and 50 CFR 679.21(h)(3) will be effective August 25, 2012, until November 1, 2012.
- 76 FR 77757, December 14, 2011. Proposed rule to implement Amendment 93 to the FMP for Groundfish of the GOA. Comment period through January 30, 2012.
- 76 FR 72384, November 23, 2011. Notice of availability of Amendment 93 to the FMP for Groundfish of the GOA. Amendment 93, if approved, would establish separate prohibited species catch limits in the Central and Western Regulatory Areas of the GOA for Chinook salmon. Comment period through January 23, 2012.
- EA/RIR/IRFA for Amendment 93 to the FMP for Groundfish of the Gulf of Alaska - Chinook Salmon Prohibited Species Catch in the Gulf of Alaska Pollock Fishery, February 2012
Bering Sea and Aleutian Islands (BSAI)
BSAI Salmon Catch Reports
- 2013 Prohibited Species Catch Reports: annual, seasonal
- BSAI Chinook Salmon Mortality Estimates, 1991 - present
- BSAI Non-Chinook Salmon Mortality Estimates, 1991 - present
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Electronic Monitoring System Inspection Request
Forms and Applications
- Online services, forms and applications for Economic Data Reports (EDRs), Incentive Plan Agreements (IPAs), Prohibited Species Quota (PSQ), and Prohibited Species Catch (PSC)
Incentive Plan Agreements
- 77 FR 5389, February 3, 2012. Final rule to implement the Chinook Salmon Economic Data Report Program. Effective March 5, 2012.
- 77 FR 14304, March 9, 2012. Correction to 77 FR 5389.
- 75 FR 53026, August 30, 2010. Final regulations to implement management measures for Chinook salmon bycatch in the Bering Sea pollock fishery - Amendment 91 to the FMP for Groundfish of the BSAI. Effective September 29, 2010.
- FINAL Bering Sea Chinook Salmon Bycatch Management Environmental Impact Statement/Regulatory Impact Review (EIS/RIR), December 2009
- Salmon Fishery Management
- Tribal Consultations
- American Fisheries Act (AFA) Pollock Fisheries Management
- U.S. Department of Commerce Secretary Gary Locke Announces "Fishery Failure" Determination for Alaska Chinook Salmon, January 2010
- Supplemental Biological Opinion Reinitiating Consultation on the January 11, 2007 Biological Opinion regarding Authorization of Bering Sea/Aleutian Islands (BSAI) Groundfish Fisheries, December 2009
- EA/RIR/FRFA for Modifying existing Chinook and chum salmon savings areas, Final Rule Implementing Amendment 84 to the Fishery Management Plan for Groundfish of the Bering Sea and Aleutian Islands Management Area, October 2007
- North Pacific Fishery Management Council - Salmon Bycatch Information